Friday 23 January 2015

An Audience with John Denham - Book Week




On Friday 16th January, in our school, an MP called John Denham came to visit.
 
Year 4 asked him questions and he answered all of them. One thing that we talked about was democracy. If you don’t know what this means already, it is when people vote for the people who lead their country. One question you might be thinking is if Springhill has democracy. The answer is YES! Our school council is democratic because each class votes for their member.

When everyone finished asking questions, Miss Duddy, our class teacher, went towards the MP. “One boy in my class wants to be an MP or Prime Minister and he would like to ask a question,” she told Mr Denham and all of the children.  I knew it was me! Since everyone was looking at me, I knew I had to speak. With my most sensible voice, I asked him a question.

“Have you ever went against your party on an important idea?”

I was surprised at his reaction because he thought it was an excellent question as he had disagreed with his party. “Yes, I have- when I was in cabinet, I disagreed with the Prime Minister so strongly about the war in Iraq that I actually left government, “ he told us. I was quite surprised. I suppose that would be like me leaving school council if I didn’t agree with something they had decided to do!

Also, we learnt that in Britain, we have laws that mean everyone gets treated equally. It doesn’t matter what colour or religion you are, what country you come from or if you have a disability- everyone must be treated with respect.

In Springhill, we have the same rules because our motto is “together we will do our best for Jesus” and Jesus taught us to treat each other as we would like to be treated.

To sum up, I really enjoyed Mr Denham’s visit as it has inspired me even more to be a politician. It would be great if I did become an MP but I’ll stick to school council… for now! Watch out, David Cameron, Alphen is coming!!!
 
Alphen

 

No comments:

Post a Comment